Friday, July 6, 2012

Summer kicked in the same day it always does in my town: July 5th.  These past two days have been beautiful with clear skies and the warmth of the sun.  My mind wandered through the experiences of past summers.  I pondered one experience in particular that happened a few summers ago.  The lesson I learned from the experience has proved to be invaluable over the past few years.
Imagine doing 300 dishes.  That's right.  Over 300 dishes.  It would take almost 3 hours to finish all of them (and that was with a team of people).  Welcome to service crew.  I was with a group of high school students spending the week working at a summer camp doing whatever needed to be done.  I got deeply frustrated (though I didn't let it show) about how much work we had to do.  I thought that summer camp was supposed to be fun.  I climbed a hill for quiet time one day and when I came off the hill I had a different outlook.  It occurred to me that it wasn't all about me having fun but about those I was there to serve.  I learned to make the most of the situation and to be content with what lot I was given.
The Dishes
I have found that being content gives me a sense of peace in whatever situation I am in.  How do you continue to be content in your life?  What keeps you from being content?

No comments:

Post a Comment